IBK Junior Leaders Program
The IBK Junior Leaders is a new incentive program in our Junior Program (ages 10 - 15+). The purpose of this program is to recognize and reward students who show outstanding leadership skills, both on and off the mats, and act as a positive role model to their fellow students. .
Students identified as a Junior Leader will receive a patch for their gi, the title of "Senpai", and will be involved in a variety of activities at the dojo including:
- Assisting and/or running warm-ups and breakfalls, or portions thereof
- Demonstrating techniques during classes
- Assisting instructors during regular classes and/or open mats when requested
- Helping new students. New students will be informed to look for the patch if they want help from a peer.
- Assisting the instructors in either the Little Ninjas or Little Samurai on a rotating basis with other Junior Leaders (maximum once per month)
- Exclusive access to seminars and other activities hosted by or held at IBK
- A special seminar and pizza party for all junior leaders in the second semester each year.
Selection for the Junior Leaders program is merit based, is not dependent on rank, and requires the full support of the student's parent(s) or guardian. It is also occasionally used as an incentive and to reinforce good behavior and growth from students with behavioral and/or attention struggles.
The performance of Junior Leaders is evaluated regularly. If parents have an issue with behaviors at home or at school, please inform the instructional team, as this will be weighted at least as heavily as their performance at the dojo (if not more so). We are hopeful that this will go a long way in reinforcing the virtues of respect, honesty, integrity, compassion, loyalty, bravery, and honor that IBK represents. Not just on the mats, but in our daily lives